Close Window

About Our Parish

Our History

Introduction
Medway Village historic district is located along the Charles River in the southeast corner of the town of Medway. The area was designated as a National Historic District in December, 2008 and includes over two hundred historic buildings on approximately 60 acres of land. The area is bounded by the river on the south, the railroad bed on the north, Oakland Street on
the east, Holliston Street on the west and extends along Village Street to Legion Avenue.
Medway Village was the first area in the town to see significant growth and increased density with the establishment of small textile mills on the falls of the Charles River at the end of the eighteenth century. The area was known historically as Factory Village by the 1830s. The development of the Medway Village area corresponded with the industrial expansion along the Charles River during the nineteenth-century. A variety of manufacturing establishments, rather than a single firm, fueled the expansion of the village, attracting additional businesses as well as an economically and ethnically diverse community. The arrival of the railroad in the 1860’s along the northern edge of the area attracted additional factories and further propelled expansion north of Village Street.

Walking Tour:
Start at the parking lot behind Medway Town Hall
(155 Village Street)
Total Walking Distance – 1.6 miles
1.) Medway’s town hall’s official name is Sanford
Hall. Constructed in 1912 it replaced the first
Sanford Hall of 1872, which burned down. The new hall was built in the Second Renaissance style and originally combined commercial uses on the first floor including a grocery and tobacconist, as well as the post office, library, a bank, and the police station. The second floor was used as a meeting hall and on occasion as a movie theater too. Sanford Hall was renovated in the 1980s, and converted into the Medway town offices.

Turn right at Village St.

2.) St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church is a Gothic
Revival structure built from 1876 to 1885. The new hall was built
spire was added in 1890 and had to be removed in
1993.

ST.JOSEPH'S CHURCH
(circa 1890)

 

 

 

ST.JOSEPH'S CHURCH
(circa 1890) 

3.) On the right at 6 Sanford Street stands the elegant
Gothic Revival Clark-Monroe House.

4.) Going further down the street you come to the
Sanford Mills complex: one of the few industrial
structures remaining in Medway Village. This site
on the Charles River was occupied by mills as
early as 1711. The current complex consists of the
main mill, built in 1881 in the Italianate style with
rear ells constructed between 1910 and 1922; an
adjacent office located at the entrance, was built
between 1884 and 1887. The dam and falls that
provided waterpower at this site are still visible.
The mill was originally used for the manufacturing
of textiles. The complex housed manufacturing
operations until the 1980s, when it was converted
to condominiums.
Carefully cross Sanford St. and go down River St.

 


5.) The three two-story end houses at 8, 10 and 12
River St. were constructed by E. C. Wilson between
1852 and 1858, presumably to house people
employed in his mill.

 

St. Joseph Church Historical Facts:

 

Full History of Medway HERE